Thursday, June 2, 2011

Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres

Into a world of wild secrets and deadly pleasures comes a girl whose innocence may be her greatest strength.

In Ixion music and party are our only beliefs. Darkness is our comfort. We have few rules but they are absolute . . .

Retra doesn’t want to go to Ixion, the island of ever-night, ever-youth and never-sleep. Retra is a Seal – sealed minds, sealed community. She doesn’t crave parties and pleasure, experience and freedom.

But her brother Joel left for Ixion two years ago, and Retra is determined to find him. Braving the intense pain of her obedience strip to escape the only home she’s ever known, Retra stows away on the barge that will take her to her brother.

When she can’t find Joel, Retra finds herself drawn deeper into the intoxicating world of Ixion. Come to me, whispers a voice in her head. Who are the Ripers, the mysterious guardians of Ixion? What are the Night Creatures Retra can see in the shadows? And what happens to those who grow too old for Ixion?

Retra will find that Ixion has its pleasures, but its secrets are deadly. Will friendship, and the creation of an eternal bond with a Riper, be enough to save her from the darkness?

Listen well, baby bats. Burn bright, but do not stray from the paths. Remember, when you live in a place of darkness you also live with creatures of the dark.



Guys, I was going to try and review this semi-professionally without all the gushing. But I can't seem to help it. I seriously LOVED this book.


In a YA market fast becoming saturated in dystopia's BURN BRIGHT shines out in the crowd. It's a dystopian tale with splashes of sci-fi. It is, in fact, so vibrant and unique and convincing that it makes me feel embarrassed for other recent (often flailing romantic) YA dystopia's. It is fantastically original, creepy, riveting and atmospheric. I can honestly say BURN BRIGHT is unlike any book I have ever read = complete WOW experience.

de Pierres makes it easy to sink into a complex world: her prose is lush and rich, evoking vibrant imagery. She doesn't patronise her readers with an overabundance of explanations or bore us with oodles of backstory: she just throws us into the story along with Retra. Not everything instantly makes sense or is explained away and I think this is a strength ~ it truly made me feel as if I was submerged 100% into the story along with Retra.


I went into it not knowing much apart from the blurb and had no idea what to expect. It's hard to give you a feel of this evocative book in such a short review so rather than run down a synopsis I prefer just to share how brilliant I thought it was and give a little teaser: 


There's pirates and gangs and secret passages and funky/strange pills and dark creatures. 
There's parties and a hot musician and mysterious creepy happenings
There's a world bigger than Ixion, which skitters on the horizon, with even bigger dystopian themes. 
It's ominous and daring and spectacular
LOVED the climax where some of the islands secrets are revealed ~ while leaving me craving more. 


I LOVED THIS:  It's dark and wild, unpredictable and somehow enchanting. I rated it the full FIVE STARS over on goodreads as for me it was a definite 5 star reading experience. I found it unputdownable, sensory rich and utterly absorbing. It had been a while since I have been so pulled into someone else's story. I loved being in Retra's world and can't wait to return with the sequel.

Recommended: I very nearly missed out on reading this by thinking it wasn't a "me book." I thought it may be too paranormal-ish, too hedonistic (LOL) or too fantastical ~ GUYS ~ I know it may not be raved about by everyone but if you're in a reading slump or looking for a completely addictive absorbing experience I absolutely recommend Burn Bright. It's truly original and you can completely tell the author loves her world and characters. Brilliant stuff ~ it's in my top ten reads so far this year (and I stayed up past 2am trying to read it in one big gulping go)

I also think it would make one wild movie on the big screen!
Listen well, baby bats. Burn bright, but do not stray from the paths. Remember, when you live in a place of darkness you also live with creatures of the dark.


Burn Bright @ goodreads
Burn Bright website (absolutely gorgeous artwork ~ check it out!)
Burn Bright @ Random House Australia

The trailer is gorgeous <3





Burn Bright is the first book in the Night Creatures trilogy.

Book #2 Angel Arias will be released in Australia in November this year.

Angel Arias @ goodreads

(also, shout out to another awesome Aussie YA and fingers crossed it gets picked up by an international publisher)

27 comments:

  1. YES! This book should be turned into a movie. It would be amazing. I want Baz Luhrman or Guillermo del Toro !!!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How AMAZING was this book? I think it's the best thing I've read this year, loved it!

    So glad to find another person who was smitten by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because of it's gothic style, I think Tim Burton would be a great director for the film. His designs would be mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just sounds fantastic! Pirates, gangs, musician, creepy stuff - all the elements in a book that I love.
    It's great to see an original YA dystopia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds really good. Awesome review! The cover is so eye-catching too. I'm definitely adding this to my list!

    ~ Sarah ♥ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must read this! I love the cover, but the cover for the second book is amazing. Fingers crossed it gets sold internationally :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, wow. This sounds so good. I'm double and triple crossing my fingers it gets sold internationally. Or maybe I'll just break down and pay overseas shipping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to stop and stare at that cover first. Then the summary had me at 'music and party'. Now your review totally has me sold.

    It couldn't get better than a hedonistic dystopia ;)

    Keeping my fingers crossed that it's sold internationally!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, seriously? I have been semi wary of YA dystopia now, but hmmmm. I kind of want to read this. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O.M.G. As you know, I haven't been keen on reading this but now...

    Those people that say bloggers don't sell books know nothing! You have completely sold me on this title.

    I must get my hands on it before I get the chance to meet the author at Supanova later this month.

    Thanks Nomes! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I hadn't heard much about this one but you have definitely made me more interested in it! A pity it's only available in Australia right now :( There are so many good-sounding Aussie YA reads that I wish were published internationally!

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy crap! this sounds good. I'll have to throw it onto my TBR pile. thanks for the rec :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Instantly added to my TBR pile, Nomes- your recommendations never fail to be great reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I'm literally itching to get my hands on it and it isn't even my kind of book!

    Fingers crossed for an international release - although I think I might just make a trip to Australia with an empty suitcase :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just articulated exactly what is awesome about this book. So amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently read this author's short story collection titled Glitter Rose and loved it! I am planning to read this book soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like Janice, I'm wary of dystopian books because I usually end up having a lukewarm reaction even when most people loved it. But since you said that you're not really a fan of the sub-genre either and you were still blown away by this one, I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nomes anytime you say recommend i immediately know it will be great.

    you are my book guru.

    aaaand: it's bought!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome review and thanks for another rec! Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh - wish this was available to me now! Me WANTS it!!!

    Thanks for the honest, gushing review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like gushing in reviews! :) It just shows me you loved it! Gosh, some backstories in books...boring!

    Thanks for sharing the trailer, I hadn't seen it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to read this one but can't find it anywhere. I hope the US or UK Random House picks it up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. First of all, you totally had me at "wild and unpredictable," and second, I'm a cover slut, so I'm sold right off! This one sounds incredible and so twisty - that's totally my thing! Fab review, Nomes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I havem't read this one yet (although it's sitting giving me puppy eyes from my shelf right now) but I've heard such book things about it!

    I'm glad you really enjoyed this one - brilliant review, as always Nomes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I KNOW I've seen this reviewed somewhere but I cannot remember where... I may have spotted it on Rhiannon Hart's blog though. I can't be certain o_O!

    Anyway, this review was brilliant and has me wanting to read BURN BRIGHT very badly! I should start saving up money to buy all of these Aussie YA's... :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG you just read THE best books Nomes, and it's in your top ten. I have to have this one! Thanks for the awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hells yes, I read this on the plane and I LOVED it. I can't wait for the next one. I mean, pirates! Could it get any better?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)