Saturday, December 25, 2010

winners, and hey, peace out for Christmas xo

Thanks to all who entered & so hoping you enjoyed the end of year Aussie YA thing here.

Selected via our ever-so-popular randomDOTorg are two winners who can choose any book from the left :)

Congrats to:


&

Tahlia 


Here's a really messy but cool list full of Aussie YA recommendations and wish-list books from everyone who entered.

Was going to fiddle with formatting and pretty it up, but hey ~ it's Christmas and I know you all don't care if it's a scrawly bumpy looking post :)

BTW ~ some of you guys are really funny! Grinned my way through reading these (haha) so THANKS!





From you guys


My favorite Aussie YA is definitely Jellicoe Road, I've been recommending it left and right ever since I finished reading it. But I also enjoyed reading Jaclyn Moriarty's books. I really want to read Graffiti Moon and Six Impossible Things.

Jaclyn Moriarty - really anything by her but especially Feeling Sorry for Celia and The Year of Secret Assignments. Love those!

Anything by Melina Marchetta, Markus Zusak and Maureen McCarthy-everything I read of any of them is unforgettable.

I've only read the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. It was a good dystopian novels and I couldn't wait to see the film-adaptation. :)

I LOVE Melina Marchetta, she is one of my golden pillars of writing awesomeness.
My favorite: Jellicoe Road.
Dying to read The Piper's Son.
I would love to know more Aussie authors though!

All of Melina Marchetta & Markus Zusak's books.

you've got ALL my favourites: all the books by Melina Marchetta and the book thief!! xD

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta is definitely the title I recommend most.I would love to read Stolen or Looking for Alibrandi.

Anything and I mean anything by Melina Marchetta, same with Mark Zusak. Their brilliant authors but I love the Book Theif and On the Jellicoe Road the most.

I really want to read SAVING FRANCESCA and STOLEN. Frankly any Aussie book you've featured on your site -- I want to read it!!

The book thief, everything by Jaclyn moriarty

I want to read Tomorrow When the War Began and Jellicoe Road!

I'm really looking forward to reading Stolen by Lucy Christopher as well as Girl Saves Boy by Steph Bowe!

saving francesca and the book thief are books i've been wanting to read for a while. my fave aussie YA would be giutar highway rose or feeling sorry for celia or the messenger. all of which are on your list funnily enough.

Saving Francesca, The Piper's Son and Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta :)

Finding Cassie Crazy and Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty

My Big Birkett by Lisa Shanahan

I love everything by Keri Arthur if you like Shifter books, you need to check the Riley Jensen series out, and I recently read Shadowfae by Erica Hayes and Night's Cold Kiss by Tracey O'Hara.

Beautiful Malice by R. James and Burnt Snow by V. Bandham.

Anything by Jaclyn Moriarty. She rocks!

Everything by Melina Marchetta but especially Saving Francesca

Feeling Sorry for Celia and The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

Well, all my faves are originally from your blog, but here goes:
Notes from the Teenage Underground, Feeling Sorry for Celia, and Stolen.
Just ordered TWTWB by marsden for myself... hoping it arrives by the weekend.

From the list above, I'd love Jellicoe Road!

I love me some Aussie YA. :) My favourites are probably.... Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta, Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden, Pink by Lili Wilkinson and Dreaming of Amelia by Jaclyn Moriarty.

I love Steven Herrick's The Wolf and By The River anything by Jaclyn Moriarty and of course Jellicoe Road.

Everything Beautiful. I really, really want to read this book XD

Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles #1) by Lara Morgan I'm dying to read this book, but Book Depository doesn't have it in store and neither does Amazon. Not cool. :/

Jellicoe Road, it's on my shelf! I just haven't read it yet. And I've heard everything beautiful is good.

Stolen by Lucy Christopher, I LOVED this book!!

I LOVED Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta but the title I really want to read (and am slightly embarrassed that I have not yet managed) is Tomorrow When The War Began.

These are my faves and I would love to own any of the as they were all borrowed from the library (bless it's soul!):
Saving Francesca, Melina Marchetta
Piper's Son, Melina Marchetta
Six Impossible Things, Fiona Wood
Beatle Meets Destiny, Gabrielle Williams
Stolen, Lucy Christopher
( I'm not positive the next two are YA...oops)
Finnickin of the Rock, Melina Marchetta
Heart's Blood (Whistling Tor 1), Juliet Marillier

I don't know much Aussie books, but I would love to read Stolen. My friend has read it and has recommended it to me :)

Jellicoe Road! :D

I'm looking forward to Stolen the most. I haven't read any others.

Jellicoe Road!!!! And Saving Francesca. I believe I'm developing a bit of an author crush on Ms. Marchetta!

Girl Saves Boy - Just finished this one and really enjoyed it

I haven't read a lot of Aussie YA, but it is hard to go past The Book Thief by Markus Zusak! I really need to read Melina Marchetta

I have actually read a lot of these!  I love the Tomorrow When the War Began series but have never gotten past the 2nd one due to their availability in America.  I plan on rectifying that situation soon!  I love both Markus Zusak and Melina Marchetta (as you know).  Feeling Sorry for Celia looks intriguing!  Thanks for hosting such a great giveaway. :)

On the Jellicoe Road

Saving Francesca

Hollywood Ending ooorrr John Belushi is Dead (as it is in the US) by Kathy Charles

The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzack is near the top of my wishlist.

The Wrath of the Silver Wolf, by Simon Higgins

Beatle Meets Destiny
The Year of Secret Assignments
Jellicoe Road

My fave Aussie read was How to Ditch Your Fairy

I haven't read any before, but the ones I've got on my to-read shelf are The Book Thief and Stolen.

You've been rec'ing me so many good Aussie YA titles. I'd really like to try one of Kirsty's novels.

I've not read as much Aussie YA as I'd have liked, in part because much of it hasn't been available in the UK. I do plan to read more of it. But two I have read and would recommend are Melina Marchetta's Looking for Alibrandi (and the film version, for which MM wrote the script, is well worth seeing) and Lucy Christopher's Stolen.

Guitar Highway Rose seems really interesting!

I love Jaclyn Moriarty! But if I won, I would LOVE to have Everything Beautiful or  My Big Birkett! Thanks for your wonderful blog!

I really want to read six impossible things, and feeling sorry for celia. my favorite of course, is jellicoe :)

I haven't read any that I know of but I have heard great things about Lili Wilkinson so I'd love to check her out.

i really dont know (; hahaha.

Kate Forsyth's The Chain of Charm series was pretty good.

Definitely Stolen by Lucy Christopher *points to the picture above* That book was fantastic! I'm always itching to get my hands on Saltwater Vampires by Kristy Eagar.

I loved Stolen by Lucy Christopher.

I really want to read The book Thief! It sounds awesome! And all of Shaun Tan's books are works of art!
I really want to read the Book Thief! And any of Shaun Tan's work is absolutely amazing!

Fury looks amazing!

DAY BY DAY ARMAGEDDON by J.L. Bourne is an AMAZING zombie novel.

Stolen by Lucy Christopher has been on my wish list for some time.

I LOVED the Book Thief.

Stolen!

Oh gawd, what don't I want to read?!  My fav is Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar (since that's the one I've gotten my hands, but the book is BRILLIANT!), but Jellicoe Road is one I am looking forward to.

Thanks for the wonderful giveaway!  I hope more Aussie lit gets published in the US!
most want to read Jellicoe Road

I've read the following quite a while ago (more than a year...?) but I can still remember their awesomeness!
Black Taxi by James Moloney
My Big Birkett by Lisa Shanahan
Borderland by Rosanne Hawke
Zenna Dare by Rosanne Hawke
Mishaps by Nansi Kunze
Starfish Sisters by J.C Burke
Nine Letters Long by J.C Burke

I'm gonna have to go with Jellicoe Road, though I Am The Messenger really blew me away as well.

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley
Graffiti Moon by ""
John Bulushi is Dead by ???

Well, despite living in Australia for all my 17 years, I haven't read that much Aussie YA (how awful, I know!)
However, anything by John Marsden, most especially his Tomorrow series, holds a special literary spot in my heart.
I'd also have to say that I'm a fan of On The Jellicoe Road - a story that I really took a lot out of.
Aside from those novels and a few others, I'm a sad and sorry case. Hopefully I'll be able to change that soon though. :)

These books sound great (from your list above):
*Jellicoe Road
*Everything Beautiful
*Feeling Sorry For Celia
*Guitar Highway Rose

My 2 most favorite books are: Ghosts of Ashbury High (Dreaming of Amelia)  and Beetle Meets Destiny. I am hunting down the rest of the Ashbury series with no luck(. And i just added Good Oil to my TBR pile).

Loved, loved, loved Stolen!!

Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series is a favourite of mine!

I loved Saving Francesca, Tomorrow When the War Began, and The Book Thief but I haven't read the rest of the books by those authors. I'd love to, though!

Some Aussie books I want to read: The Piper's Son, Looking for Alibrandi, Graffiti Moon and Stolen

I want to read A LOT of aussie titles...but right now I´m mostly curious about Melina Marchetta´s LOOKING FOR ALIBRANDI. :)



Have an awesome Christmas, yeah? 
It's already Christmas here ~ wahoo!
It's, ah, raining here (again, again, again) but we'll be hanging out down at the beach for a bit anyway :)

12 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas, Nomes! I've got a day to get through still, but I hope yours is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! Sorry about the rain, but I'd love to spend Christmas down on the beach! It sounds so fun. We'll be cooped up inside with the heating on full, hoping it doesn't snow eight inches again...:P. Have a great day :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Christmas! See you (read you?) in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the winners! :)
    Merry Christmas, Nomes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peace out and Merry Christmas to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment, I hope you have a grand christmas! Pancakes rock!
    Thanks, I'm glad you like my post! And thanks for following, I wonder why it wasn't working earlier...? Strange... it also did that to me with my sisters blog.
    Ok., thanks!
    Romi.xxx
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful day with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas!

    Love that you go to the beach on Christmas :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Nomes, I hope you have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. MERRY CHRISTMAS NOMES!!! I hope you had a great day today. Score! I received a book for Christmas. It was for my brother, but he didn't want it so he gave it to ME! :D (It's GLEE the beginning; he doesn't watch the show anymore, and I still do) In Sydney it's been really warm, humid even. I'm sorry that it's been rainy over there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you so much!! i love free books, though after christmas i have a very big to read pile.
    i'll email you later after i decide which book to choose.
    merry christmas!
    i can't believe it's raining over there, it's BOILING here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas, I may be late but I hope your day was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)