Monday, December 19, 2011

Faves of TwentyEleven: The Books


1. favourite book read in 2011
this one is WAY too hard, so i am going to TWEAK the question and choose my favourite Aussie YA book of the year, which goes to All I Ever Wanted by Vicki Wakefield



2. most powerful book
I LOVE this book, so much. It breaks my heart yet fills me with hope and the overwhemling theme/message SHINES brilliant: Split by Swati Avasthi


3. brilliantly funny
Oh, I read so many funny books (I am drawn to them, so). For my sense of humour ~ here are some of the books that had me reading with a ridiculous grin on my face the whole time :)







4. best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read
Two equally stunning little books ~ each in their own way... Both genuinely moving.



5. most beautiful story
LOVE this love story. LOVE the taking of a prostitute and restoring her. Gorgeous read.



6. delicious rainy day comfort read

Hunting Lila: not my usual rainy day comfort: but it was so fun and swoony
The Day Before: any of my verse books deliver for this category. Lisa Schroeder is pretty much my new fave author in this genre.
LIANE MORIARTY: I love you.




7. adrenalin-fuelled, unputdownable award
This one is hard for me as nothing I read this year felt pumped full of adrenalin, not even the 7 or so adult suspense thrillers I read. I'm going with Legend as I really enjoyed it and read it in one day ~ although it's not all heart-pumping action :)







8. the beautiful prose award
Oh, Vicki Wakefield ~ I ADORE how you write.




9. most atmospheric and vivid setting
For those who have read Froi ~ you'll know why I picked it. Marchetta has imagined and created an entire world that feels so vivid and realised it's easy to be transported there.



Halfway through the year I chose Burn Bright for this and it's still stunning and wild and gothicky and just a smidgen behind Froi as a runner up :)

10. i-so-want-to-go-there award
Oh, this book made me all antsy for travel :)



11. most original and imaginative
Absolutely cannot go past Burn Bright. Also, John Belushi is Dead is a book I would describe as marching to it's own drum beat ~ it's quirky and different and very cool.



12. best under-appreciated, hidden gem book
YOU GUYS. These three books from me are all on my absolute favourite shelf. Such gorgeousness. Such brilliantly talented YA authors. I feel good just thinking about these gems.



13. i-had-no-idea-i-would-love this-so award

Enclave: This was a gift from a friend & I honestly had not really seen any buzz about it, so hadn't any built-up expectations. And then I started it and completely loved it. Such an engrossing read. Have you read it? It's a YA post-apocalyptic.
Genesis: From it's bizarre narration and delivery I wasn't sure it would be my thing ~ but then I got COMPLETELY into it and it fully delivers. What a genius little book.
Violence 101: Oh ~ I still love thinking about this book. It is also very different in it's delivery ~ surprising fun in parts and completely fascinating.



14. most haunting story

Never Let me Go for it's subtle absence of hope and eerie delivery. Pure because some of those scenes and visions of the future: my gosh, it genuinely creeped me out.




15. outside my comfort zone but gosh how i loved it


A paranormal fantasy, haha. Not my usual read. But this books was so. much. fun.(with lovely dashes of swoon). Good times. Cannot wait for book two.


16. series that i’m loving


Love Unearthly and Hallowed. They delivered for me in being absorbing reads.



17.  always recommending this book award


ahh! Well, there's the books I always say I LOVE (but don't imagine that everyone else will necessarily feel the same way I do ~ such as my love for Psych Major Syndrome <3). And then there's the books that I seriously think people should read such as Split. Also: only *just* recently read but I am SO going to be pimping it out as an all-time fave verse book: Chasing Brooklyn.



18. completely awesome premise award


Legend is, in part, a re-imagining of 'Les Miserables' (love that book) and Warm Bodies, LOL, the zombies got in touch with their feeling and stuff, aww...



19.  would make the best movie
Wouldn't Past Perfect be a perfectly fun teenage flick? 

And, although I didn't really like The Name of the Star ~ it has the premise (Jack the Ripper) and the originality to make it something fresh for the big screen (plus it's set in Britain).



20.  want to re-read already


First book that came to mind: Song of the Sparrow ~ I am taking this with me on Christmas holidays :)



I will confess to already re-reading a batch of books I read this year: Psych Major Syndrome, Saving June, Unearthly and Every Little Thing in the World.

And... they're my picks for Day One :) So much fun. Tomorrow it's all about The Characters. Can't wait to check out anyone who is joining in

I haven't paid for the upgrade on Mr Linky, so it will only display one linky dooby on the site at a time. You can link up here for the next 24 hours or so, then access the links in a new window. If the option to add your link has been removed, PLEASE leave a link in the comments. Sorry if this sounds complicated O.o  :D
NB: it also advises to leave a comment after linking: you so have have to do that, it's an automated message :)

xx Nomes






37 comments:

  1. So many wonderful books to add to my TBR! I'll have to have a proper look tonight when I'm not at work x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I haven't read Never Let Me Go, but I saw the movie and it killed me. I felt exactly the same. It's beautiful, but there's complete absence of hope throughout and this sense of inevitability. Uh... I watched it on the plane out of the country the morning after my cat (who I loved like I can't even explain) died. It wasn't a good move :S

    Pure was terrifying! I didn't enjoy it, but I really appreciated it, if you know what I mean? And it was creepy. SO creepy. And I could genuinely see it as a realistic possibility, which I guess was one of my problems... my mind kind of recoiled from it, if you know what I mean?

    I SO want to read Past Perfect, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh your award posts have started! I really want to participate but my schedule has been crazy lately with so many Christmas get togethers. I'm going to see if I can squeeze in a post. Love the titles that you included in this list - I'm already aware of most of them because of your blog and Goodreads posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could participate in this, but I haven't read as many books as I would have liked this year. I have read Wanderlove, so I agree with you there. And I do own Never Let Me Go, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

    I'm looking forward to tomorrow's post.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat too many good books, Some of these i have read and the others will be going on my to be read list!
    I really want to check out 'All i ever wanted' and 'past perfect'. great idea and post, i may have to get my post ready on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list, Nomes! I'm so glad to hear you've enjoyed Lisa Schroeder's verse novels so much. Chasing Brooklyn is my favorite of hers as well. Did you review that yet or did I miss it?

    I was also very happy to see that Warm Bodies made it on the list as well as Three Wishes, which I haven't read yet but just received as part of a holiday swap gift.

    I hope to participate on at least one day as well. Christmas is so hectic this year though.

    PS Love your new buttons as well. Pass some of those creative/tech savvy skills my way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sooo excited!! Thank you Nomes for organising this :). Will have to read through your post this afternoon, I just noticed I'm late for uni! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I haven't read any of those books that you listed this year. I think we just have different tastes in reading and I usually read morea dult fiction with some YA sprinkled in. But since you seem to love them so I'll have to make it my business to look some of these up and check them out. I do love this Book Awards idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with so many of your choices, Nomes, but I also see some books I haven't read yet, but really really want to, like Split.
    You are very bad for my poor tbr.

    Lisa and I tried to make our lists together, but then we started discussing and it just snowballed from there. It ended up being a really long post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome list Nomes! I love that you really did spread out your winners. :) I'm so interested to read SPLIT! Just all around great choices, though I have only read half of those.

    So agree with Between Shades of Gray. Lucky you for re-reading lots already! I just threw a few in there for my post. I'm super tired so I don't think I'll even be able to fix my post up until tomorrow... And I want to finish CINDER tonight, even if it destroys me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Added so many new books to my TBR pile. This is such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh nomes, so amny! I really, really must get my hands on All I Ever Wanted! I've heard so many great things about it.

    I actually have The Chosen One on my shelf from when I was in the US last year. I should probably read it me thinks ;)

    And I think I've had John Belushi is Dead and Unearthly on my TBR since you originally reviewed them :O

    I'm sure my TBR is going to grow wayyyyyy too much this week :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yesyesyes Past Perfect, Warm Bodies, Split, and All I Ever Wanted! You have such fabulous taste, Nomes! I'm going to look more into all of these I haven't heard of before.

    Also, I bought No & Me the other day with your praise in mind, and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ADORE Unearthly and Hallowed, so glad you're loving those books too!! Pure I have on my list, it looks so strange and different so I'm excited to read it. Love all these lists, they're giving me such great ideas for books I still need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this idea for a blog series, but you are going to topple my TBR pile with all the recs. :) a few of these i passed by in the store and will now have to go pick up after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You just put All I Ever Wanted and Pearl and Sand on my list. Both sound gorgeous! I've always wanted to read Split, but now I feel like I need to prepare!

    Wonderful list, Nomes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you constructed your list! and I love that you loved Song of the Sparrow - I LOVE that book.

    I think I'm going to make a condensed version of your survey because I'm kind of swamped right now :) But I'll still do it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know if I could get through Never Let Me Go as a book! I saw the movie and GAH!!!!

    And after reading yours and Nic's reviews of Blood Song, I just had to get the book and read it for myself! I'm so looking forward to book two!

    I always look forward to what you have listed as your hidden gems. I'm added the ones you listed to the old wishlist!

    Thanks for hosting Nomes! :)

    *hugs from TX*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting this...I had fun putting my list together. I agree with you Warm Bodies was great..:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great idea! I will have to check most of these books out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool list - I'll be adding a few of those to my To Read list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an awesome idea!! I've decided to join in and I can't wait to make the rounds and add/prioritize my TBR. For instance I am bumping Pure up right now!!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  23. All I Ever Wanted sounds good. I'm still a little confused by it though. I've read Psych -- it is funny! I wanted more tension between the MC and the love interest.

    - Mary | Anxirium

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many good books, so little time! I'm very curious about God is in the Pancakes, especially since you mentioned the couple there in your next post. :) Also, thanks for recommending No and Me! I really enjoyed reading that this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay I love this series! Looking forward to the rest!

    You have made my TBR list swell, but I think the two main ones I have to have are No & Me and Psych Major Syndrom

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, your list is amazing. Theres definetly some new books for my TBR list.

    The link to post was taken off, so heres my link to the post.

    http://tabithabookblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/fave-books-of-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. So I can't post a link so here's my blog post

    http://pearlthebookgirl.blogspot.com/2011/12/faves-of-2011-day-1-books.html

    I really like your list and I really want to read Legend and Warm Bodies, those are two big ones for me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Nomes! I joined in on the fun! Here's my post:

    http://rabbitin.blogspot.com/2011/12/faves-of-2011-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. My to-read list is growing... and growing... Gah, so many books! :)

    My Favorite Books of 2011

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favourite books:

    http://wondersbuecherkiste.blogspot.com/2011/12/faves-of-twentyeleven-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Here's my list!
    Favorites 2011: Books

    You've got me really wanting to read Legend! I can't wait until I can start reading it :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a bit late to the party because I was hella busy before Christmas, but I couldn't resist joining in anyway - such a great event! Thanks for this.
    There are quite a few books here that I haven't read yet - have to add them to the wishlist! I especially want to get to Hunting Lila and Legend soon.
    Here is my list:
    http://bellesbookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/12/faves-of-2011-book-awards-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great list! I'm unfamiliar with some of the books but they sound amazing so I'll surely check them out. :D

    Here's my list!:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. So sorry that I didn't get to join in on this. I'll do a reading wrap up later this week. Scrolling through all your posts to build my list some more.

    Hope you had a merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are so good with your lists. I want to read every book on it! (I want to read Saving June pretty badly). Here's mine: http://janicu.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/faves-of-twentyeleven-the-books/

    Also- for people having trouble adding to the Mr. Linky, try:
    http://www.blenza.com/linkies/links.php?owner=Nomes&postid=19Dec2011

    ReplyDelete
  36. How wonderful your choice of categories is, Nomes.

    Here is my list for "the books category":

    http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2843533-oliviasbooks#comment_42456427

    ReplyDelete
  37. So we have definitely got and even larger TBR pile or 2012 after reading your lists and the lists of many other bloggers!

    Here is our list for books:

    http://smallpuddles.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/faves-of-twenty-eleven-the-books/

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)