Thursday, November 19, 2015

Snoozing, saying hi and currently

I am resurrecting this sleepy little blog from an unplanned hibernation. It's been months of snoozing on here while I've been laying low in real life and taking time out from the internet and other commitments while I scuffle about with long-term health stuff. I have missed my blogging buddies (HI!) and reading what everyone is up to, and also seeing what books are making everyone happy lately -- and what books I should be getting excited for

I have been writing a handful of reviews over the last couple of weeks (I have gotten terribly rusty ~ but I hope my excitement/love/endorsement/feelings still shines through) and I'm really keen to get some book love happening on here as 2015 is rolling on towards it's countdown. I love this time of year, and I particularly love reflecting on what I've been reading and it wouldn't be the same without sharing some faves with you guys. I also get a little bit antsy in trying to squeeze as many last minute reads in as possible looking for those final few books to put on my faves of 2015 list.



Just finished reading: First & Then by Emma Mills. Debut contemporary YA. I liked it a lot ~ mini review to come :)






Currently reading: The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

I'm about 150 pages in and alternating between really liking it and wishing it would suck me in a bit more. I am just not used to the slower pace and am really curious about things but the narrator certainly languishes about a bit, haha.





Recently watched on DVD: What We Did On Our Holiday. This was really fun in a gorgeous Scottish setting with pitch perfect humour. Look, it was just delightful and gorgeous and a bit offbeat and oddly affecting. Totally recommend!







What should I read next?
I have some books on my shelves, kindle and at my library and I'm wondering what I should prioritise reading before the year is out (in the hope of finding some bonus 2015 faves).
Do you recommend any below? 
Or what has been you most recent fave read?







14 comments:

  1. ALL THE BOOKS ;)

    Looking forward to reading your review thoughts again

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote goes to "Everything, everything" by Nicola Yoon.

    Nice to see an update here. I am mostly a silent subscriber, I always think "I will comment on that later", but then time just moves too quickly. Anyway I love your blog, especially to get news on great Aussie reads. I adore this time of the year as well, here in Norway the days are gradually getting shorter with less and less daylight. Until the sun again turns on December 22nd I think it is. I love lighting candles and watching Christimas lights outside during December. Not to forget reading inside when the cold and snow is outside our door.

    What We Did On Our Holiday sounds right up my alley, I need to see if it is available on Netflix here in Norway or if I can rent it somewhere :)

    Blog when you feel like it, not because it feels like a chore. I am sure that there are others like me out there, subscribing and happily visiting when you update(if it is every week, once a month or once a year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mari!

      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment -- it made my day! I love the idea of a cold and cosy Christmas, you make it sound just so lovely.

      Yes! Definitely watch What We Did On Our Holiday. It was really fun and just lovely. x Nomes

      Delete
  3. Hi Nomes! I hope you're doing well and that your health problems get sorted out soon!

    I liked First & Then too. 2015 hasn't been a great reading year for me - but that was a good one. The Blind Assassin has been on my to-read list FOREVER! I should probably get to it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) Thanks :) Bummer about 2015 not being such a great reading year :/ I am still looking forward to seeing any faves you read. I was just looking over my reading list and realised I hardly have any upcoming reads that I am excited for, so I def need to see what people are looking forward to.

      I have been meaning to read Margaret Atwood forever, too, finally am and just stalling around on it. I think I need ot be in the right kind of mood.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Nomes! It’s so good to see your post. I’m looking forward to your reviews. I’m terribly behind my reading challenge this year, so I’ve been wondering how I should prioritize and what I should read from my huge tbr-list in this year. I’ve heard a lot about Six of Crows and I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How big was your reading challenge? Maybe you need a few fun quick kind of reads to fill it up?

      Thanks for stopping by, I will have some reviews soon ;)

      Delete
  5. Aw Nomes, it always brightens up my day to see your posts! I had borrowed First & Then from the library but it's due tomorrow and I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet :(

    I'd definitely recommend Six of Crows, it's something you can just curl up with and enjoy. If you want the complete opposite reaction, go for The Road hahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, thanks audrey! I've already drafted my review of First and Then, it was fun and definitely addictive at the end.

      Thanks for the rec. I'm bumping it right up the top of my list!

      Delete
  6. Nomes! *glomps* Always great to see a new blog post from you :) Have you read any other Margaret Atwood books?

    Afraid I can't help with which book to read next because I haven't read any of those! Haven't had the best reading year (thanks to grad school, which sucked away time/energy for reading) and am in a bit of a reading slump right now, I think :/ A friend of mine enjoyed Finding Aubrey, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, I feel your pain! I am currently doing my masters and have a lot of uni reading to do which can burn me out.

      I've never read Margaret Atwood before, so I hope I've picked a good on to start with!

      Get out of the reading slump soon! x

      Delete
  7. Nice to see you around, Nomes! It's been far too long. I hope you're doing well.
    What we did on our holiday was such a stellar movie. It was surprising and managed to be just... unexpectedly brilliant. I didn't imagine I'd love it nearly so much as I did, so how hard hitting it was and how very enjoyable, it was such a joy. I'm glad you've enjoyed it, too! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nomes, its great to see another post from you again, I've missed you! I've heard some great things about First & Then, so I'm thrilled to see that you enjoyed it. Six of Crows and Red Queen were brilliant reads for me this year, so I highly recommend giving them a go, I hope you end up enjoying them just as much as I did! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)