Sunday, October 10, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid & Origami Yoda - MG Goodness :)

Reuben :)
So it was my son Reuben's 8th bday last week. Whoo Hoo! He got a bunch of books - most of which we've since read. My son Sam is 9 and he immediately snagged some of Reub's new stash of books too.

Here's what my boys are into - a couple of MG boyish recs :)

He got all four Diary of a Wimpy Kid Books. They are hilarious and have the coolest cartoons in them. Sam read the first three in three days curled upon the lounge amidst holiday noise and chaos, completely absorbed.

And then when we were out Sam spent some of his savings on the Do It Yourself Book. I absolutely recommend them!


Sam spent an afternoon scribbling away in this - I haven't read it, haha, apparently it's PRIVATE :)

opening in book one

Book five is coming out in November (and the boys are planning to buy it...)


The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger


I read a couple of chapters of this out loud to all three of my kids every day. They loved it. It's right in the pocket for their age level - they love hearing about kids just a bit older than them getting caught up in all sorts of ridiculous and embarrassing situations. They laughed a lot and snickered at some of the stupider characters. Funny funny stuff.

The story is presented in case files for all different characters and each case file has a slightly different voice/feel to it - which was perfectly fun for reading aloud and getting dramatically carried away with. There's cartoons scattered throughout and instructions on how to make your own origami Yoda.


This book is so original - a paper origami yoda that gives advice to middle school kids and possibly uses the force? Crazy genius. It really is made of win :) Plus, Yoda always talks in Yod-ese: "

Awesome post on designing the book cover for Origami Yoda

Sam bought this Star Wars book for Reuben - I think because he wanted it for himself, haha. They love stuff like this - copying the pictures and flipping through it in bed.


My parents visited and let my kids choose something at the shops (anything: toys, dvd's, etc - both my boys went straight to the book section :) and Reuben chose:
Which he has "already read" haha. Which he means he's studied every single page and skimmed the info. It's a very funky book -kinda addictive actually with some freaky stuff in there - my kids love stuff like that.

Reuben also got some Doctor Who activity books :) You can't go wrong, eh? :)

Any cool middle grade books you've read recently?
Any you recommend that you think my kids would love? 
(my boys are 8 & 9 and my girl is turning 6 this week)

15 comments:

  1. Nice post, Nomes. :) My brother (who is one year younger than me :P) also likes the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. I read the first one. It was pretty funny.

    I recently read Big Nate Strikes Again. It was pretty funny. It's getting compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and it does have a similar "vibe" to it. Other than that, I can't really recommend any more MG for boys. I'll let you know if I do find something, though!

    ~~~

    Oh. You have a girl too. Haha. Hmm...The Babysitter's Club? LOL I'm not too sure. I didn't read too much when I was that young. I read quite a lot of Roald Dahl though, which I recommend wholly on the basis that I love him and I'm saddened that he'll never publish anything new. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is a great list for my boys. James (5) can sit and listen to almost any story, and he is nuts for Star Wars and Dr Who (we let him watch the less scary ones). Willy is 3 and is not much for sitting still and listening, but he does love to be read to.
    We've been trying to read The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I love the look of it, and the way it merges images and words, but it hasn't really captured their attention. It may be because they're not quite ready for it.
    I also bought a book I would not recommend called Sir Farts a Lot (impulse buy) and it was excruciating to read aloud. We dropped it after a few days.
    I got a few MG books from the bookfair last year-- I liked Project Mulberry-- though it wasn't earth-shattering, just a nice, simple story. I liked Cicada Summer better, which had a Nancy Drew feel. Some heavy themes, but overall well-done. They're more aimed at MG girls, though...
    thanks for the recs, wish I had more to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought my cousin's little daughter the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and she just loves them...I hear it's really entertaining :)

    One book series I loved as a little girl was the Betsey, Tacey, and Tib series...very easy to read and so much fun! I think your daughter would like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is way cute!

    I love his hair!

    My nephew loves this series. My husband and I took him to the movie and he knew all the words :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son's cute :)
    I wanted to get the Wimpy Kid books for my brother, but every time I think about it, I run outta funds. Maybe this time I'll save up, cos I wanna read them too.

    When your sons get a couple pf years older, I'd suggest reading the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend. They are so awesome.
    Also, The Percy Jacky books are apparently really good. I haven't read them yet though.
    Oh, and the Dork Diaries too. My friend read them and she recommends them. I'm heading to the MG section next time I'm at the bookstore.

    I think there are a lotta lovely books for the girls. Check out books by Cathy Cassidy, Gwyneth Rees and Jacqueline Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to get Orgami Yoda for my grandson it looks like such fun and he loves Star Wars.

    Your son is so handsome, better watch out mom he is sure to be a lady magnet in the not too distant future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your boys have good taste in books! Thanks for sharing the recommendations. Definitely can't go wrong with a Dr. Who activity books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For your sons, I would definitely recommend the Candy Shop War, the Shredderman series by Wendelin Van Draanen, Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan for your sons, and the Leviathan series. They're fun reads. :)

    For your daughter I would recommend all of Kate DiCamillo books (though they can get a little emotional/heavy sometimes), the Boxcar Children mysteries, the Penderwicks, Frindle, and Anne of Green Gables.

    Love this post, BTW! I loved the DWK books when I read the first one years ago...and I still love them dearly even now when I'm 16. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh - thanks for all these recs guys :) And for the compliments on my son - he's pretty cheeky but cool :)

    i think the wimpy kid diaries are all freshly released here.

    jan - do get origami yoda for your grandsom - it's a really good book

    and I think I've seen the candy dhop wars around - i'm going to get it and stash it for christmas! thanks!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids adore the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and by 'my kids' I mean my own and my students! It is NEVER on the shelf in the library and we have 12 copies of each!

    Have you seen the new Dav Pilkey- The Adventures of Ook and Gluk; Kung-Fu Cavemen from the future?

    Gryffin, who adores Wimpy kid and Star Wars is obsessed with it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Tye: No! I haven't seen the new Dav Pilkey! So thanks for the heads up - I think that'd be perfect for my boys! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Late Birthday to Reuben. I love that you're children headed to the bookstore to choose their gift, awesome!

    No recommendations we are still on picture books :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is THE cutest post, ever. (And PS, I've never read Jane Austen, either! <3)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Naked celeb [url=http://www.chinaftv.com/bbs//viewthread.php?tid=1763&pid=5267&page=1&extra=#pid5267] nude sex scene[/url] Naked celeb

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very informative blog website..... I glad to find those useful tips... Thanks a lot for such an awesome sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)