Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne

Fans of Sarah Dessen and Huntley Fitzpatrick will enjoy this smart debut young adult novel, equal parts My Life Next Door and The Princess Diaries—plus a dash of Aaron Sorkin.

Kate Quinn’s mom died last year, leaving Kate parentless and reeling. So when the unexpected shows up in her living room, Kate must confront another reality she never thought possible—or thought of at all. Kate does have a father. He’s a powerful politician. And he’s running for U.S. President. Suddenly, Kate’s moving in with a family she never knew she had, joining a campaign in support of a man she hardly knows, and falling for a rebellious boy who may not have the purest motives. This is Kate’s new life. But who is Kate? When what she truly believes flies in the face of the campaign’s talking points, she must decide. Does she turn to the family she barely knows, the boy she knows but doesn’t necessarily trust, or face a third, even scarier option?

Set against a backdrop of politics, family, and first love, this is a story of personal responsibility, complicated romance, and trying to discover who you are even as everyone tells you who you should be.


I knew I was going to like this from the first chapter. Kate is so effortlessly likeable and the premise is captivating and fun. The grieving for her mum was so well depicted -- I loved that it had realness and depth but it did not make the entire book get swallowed up by a grief-ridden, depressive tone. In fact, the book was loads of fun while also having so many shades of emotion (from all the different plot-lines). 


I was liking this a lot. And then: Enter that rebellious boy that the blurb mentions. Suddenly, I can't put the book down. Because HOT and SWOON and FUN with MYSTERIOUS MOTIVES. 


You guys, it had been a while since I had been so swallowed up by a book that I got that-up-all-night-loving-it buzz and this book was my saviour.


The Wrong Side of Right is smart and funny and clever and full of emotional depth. The plot never lulled, the characters were complex, and the swoon was real. I loved it, so. Also, there was an awesome message embedded (without ever being didactic) about being yourself. 


I completely think you should bump this to the top of your TBR charts and then, once you've read it, you'll be hanging out for what's coming next from this debut writer. One of my favourite reads so far this year :)

The Wrong Side of Right @ goodreads


4 comments:

  1. I've heard some fantastic things about this one, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! The politics side of things sounds interesting and hasn't really been done in YA. Plus rebellious boy? I'm intrigued! And I so love the cover, so bright and colourful. Will have to track down a copy! Great review, Nomes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nomes! This sounds so wonderful. Will add this to my list of post-assignment couch time reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one before your review, Nomes. I am in serious need of some swoon reads so this is going straight on my TBR ;)
    Michelle @ The Unfinished Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like something I would love. Lovely review, Nomes! But I have a question. I’m not very interested in politics and this book set against political background. Is it a big part of the story, won’t I be overwhelmed?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)