Get Reading! is Australia's largest annual celebration of books and reading. (Previously called Books Alive)
In 2010 Get Reading! runs from 25 August to 30 September, and encourages all Australians to GET LOST, GET FRESH, GET HOOKED, GET REAL and GET COMFY with a book. (taken from site)
A Guide of 50 Books You Can't Put Down offers a range of books across all genres to suit all tastes with the one criteria: you will not be disappointed. Bring it on I say!
In their FAQS they explain who chooses the 50 books that get put in the guide:
An independent panel of highly regarded booksellers, publishers, authors, literary agents, library representatives and critics, all book lovers, select the 50 titles from a long list of around 250 books.
The best thing about it is - most libraries participate (adding all 50 titles to their catalogue) and bigger department stores carry a lot of the titles (meaning 40% off RRP - yay I'm scoring my own sacred copy of Beatle Meets Destiny!)
While books are by international authors - Australian titles dominate the guide. The Govt invests $2 million each year in the campaign.
So - this years guide was finally launched today - and here's the YA titles that made it in (I've added links to goodreads if you're interested in the synopsis) - and highlighted my favourites. Oh - and added some adult picks from the guide :)
- Japser Jones Craig Silvey
- Loathing Lola William Kostakis (a fun read)
- Marked Pc & Kristin cast
- Halo Alexandra Adornetto (by teen Aussie author. Anyone read it? What;s the verdict? Angels scare me, haha).
- Alone James Phelan
- Beatle Meets Destiny - Gabrielle Williams. My review. My verdict: Read. This. Book. Asap. Brilliance.
- Everything Beautiful - Simmone Howell. Scarily awesome. You wont forget Riley after meeting her. She's one rocking girl in one wild story :)
Truth - Peter Temple (winner of the Miles Franklin)
Under the Dome - Steven King
Here's the YA picks from some previous years:
- The Host - Stephenie Meyer
- Finnikin of the Rock - Melina Marchetta
- Brisingr - Christopher Paolini
- Eagle day - Robert Muchamore (I loved his Cherubs series - anyone else read them?)
- Somebody's crying - Maureen McCarthy (I'm a fan of Maureen -but didnt make it past 50 pages. FAIL: I put it down! haha)
My Fave Adult Picks:
- The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell (One of my fave reads of last year. have since read all her other books. Recommend!)
- The Road - Cormac McCarthy
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Obernewtyn - Isobelle Carmody
- The Keys to the Kingdom Book Six - Garth Nix
- Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
Fave Adult Picks:
- The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (haunting epic)
- Addition by Toni Jordan (sexy and off-beat) and the cover of spooning toothbrushes? <3
Fave MG: Nim's Island - Wendy Orr
Also: Graeme base
- Will - Maria Boyd (This book is awesome. male POV and very very funny and cool. <3 )
- While I Live (The Ellie Chronicles) John Marsden
- Rose By Any Other Name - Maureen MacCarthy
- Wildwood Dancing - Juliet Marillier (Anyone read this? I've heard it's very good. I often pick it up @ my library and consider it :)
- The Thirteenth Tale - Dianne Setterfeld
- Marley and Me - John Grogan
MG: Zac Power - Poison Island - H I Larry (my boys collect these books & love them to death)
I love National campaigns like this - and this week is Book Week so off to the library on the weekend with the kids to do some epic Lego challenges (based around books) Plus, I'll be bringing home the CBCA winning title and honour books - whoo hoo!
And, I didnt think much of the cover when I saw it online but it the flesh it's really rocking - LOVE - it's actually really shiny and bold and daring and captivating. Hmm, I can tell some of you don't believe me :) (the old me didnt believe that either)